Friday, July 15, 2011

From the home of the crab to the land of the pig

Inknow I usually post in the evening but there is a chance that I won't get back in time tonight or that I will be to sleepy. So here is an early post. In will include tonight's happenings in my next one. I want my Mom to have an entry for today, so this is for you Mom.

After our breakfast this morning we hit the road leaving Kitty Hawk North Carolina and headed to Richmond Virginia around 10 am. Before I go any further let me update you on Keith, he is not nutty brown as he predicted, he is decidedly red. Still cute but in a red way. Ok, the trip... About 45 minutes into it on 158 west in waterlilly we saw a sign that said "inmates working" now in Cali we see " weekend warriors" all the time picking up trash in their orange vests. But these inmates were in black and white striped pajama type uniforms just like in the movies. Another point of interest was a sign in Sunberry NC that stated "Beware of swamp land around here don't get stuck" . I have remarked more than once to Keith that it would be easy to bury/ dispose of a body in the south. The sides of the roads are so dense with trees and often marshy and dark. I know what you are thinking, no worries.
Just Before we crossed into Virginia we stopped at a small market to use the restroom. Now up until this point I have been pleasantly surprised to see how clean all the bathrooms have been. Oy Vay, this one stopped the clean bathroom streak in it's tracks. But when a girl has to go she has to go so I just tried to not touch anything and used a ton of hand sanitizer.
We crossed into the proud state of Virginia around noon. We drove through Suffolk which looks like it s making a half assed attempt at gentrification. Not quite there yet, still quaint but hickyish. Fun fact....Virginia is the Peanut Capitol of the World, yeas the whole world.There are signs for peanuts EVERYWHERE!
Because we have been having breakfast every morning and going out for dinner every night we have been virtuos and skipping lunch. But today I was hungry so we stopped in Wakefield at the world famous Virginia Diner . It was very crowded and there seemed to be a lot of locals. They had a buffet but you can also order off the menu. Did you know that Keith hates buffets, won't eat at them ever. In think it's interesting that for someone who grew up poor he really insists on service and tries to go first class all the time. As he says " I've learned to like nice stuff". I did not grow up rich but very middle class and I would be fine at a budget motel ( now and then) and I like a good buffet. But I have learned to adapt to the royal treatment he enjoys. Ok back to lunch...the buffet had fried chicken and other fried stuff plus all the southern sides like collard greens, black eyed peas, okra, BBQ chicken & pork, yams, Mac and cheese. It just seemed too much for for lunch. On the menu they had a section called the "lighter side". We are not talking about salads and tofu it was just smaller portions of everything . I ordered the country ham biscuit sandwiches which were 3 slider sized biscuits with ham, dry no mayo mustard or anything. There were 4 slices of sweet dill pickle on the plate but nothing else.I asked for some mustard which they brought. The ham was so incredibly salty my lips are chapped from it. I ordered it cause I love a good biscuit but these we not great I took the tops off all of them topped the ham with drop of mustard and a pickle slice. It was a disappointment so I ordered a piece of their "legendary peanut pie" . It was like pecan pie but with peanuts and not as good. Keith had a cup of vegetable beef soup and a BLT. He said the soup was very good and the sandwich was fine. With all the great meals we have had this one lousy one won't kill me. I have been trying to eat the local faire, Keith generally eats whatever he feels like. If there is soup available he will order it, it doesn't matter if it is 115 degrees out. I understand cause if I was standing in the snow barefoot I could eat ice cream which is my favorite thing in the world to eat.
Well we just checked into our room and I need to get ready to go to Keith's cousin's house where they are going to have a family reunion of sorts. As children they played together but have not seen each other in 40 years. His uncle and some other cousins will be there too. I'll tell you all about it later. So until tonight or maybe tomorrow morning...Peace out.

No comments:

Post a Comment