Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Savannah Part 2

Soo.. After I left Gerry Spence the famous drunk trespassing hairdresser but all in all nice chap I made my way to the Juliette Gorden Low House. She was the founder of the Girl Scouts which was a fairly subversive act for it's time. Even though I was kicked out of the girl scouts ( a story for another time and place, they did ask me to return but I declined) I still love what they stand for. The Girl Scouts unlike the boy scout org ( the boy scouts are super homophobic and proudly discriminate against gay boys and men, they also mandate that the scout pledge to God) are inclusive and empower girls and young women. My kinda folks. Plus the cookies are off the hook. I chatted with the scouts working there scoped out the gift shop but did not take the tour. It was getting late in the day and I was dying for a shower.

That evening Keith and I went to the highly recommended Elizabeth on 37th for dinner. It is a fine place to sup, for sure. It is in a mansion built in 1900, really something to behold. The service was perfect, everyone was so nice but not stuffy at all even though it was fine dining. I started off with champagne which I continued to drink throughout the evening. Keith had clams and followed with flounder and shrimp. In started with scallops with ginger and followed with flounder served with butter beans and corn pudding. Everything was very good, all the produce was from their garden and the seafood was caught locally as well. We ended
with blueberry peach pie. The food was only part of the experience, what made it so special was our server. We began to chat and found out that he and his brother own the place and came out of retirement to raise money for the exiled monks and nuns of Tibet to build them a much needed water system. Tragically, Buddhist Nuns and Monks are dying from diseases caused by dirty water. He then showed us pictures with him and his holiness the Dali Lama. They are friends. We listened to him speak about metaphysics which after the champagne was too over my head but made sense in an instinctive way. I told my understanding of the teachings of the Dali Lama was that really it just comes down to love, that that is the only thing that matters. He agreed that love and compassion were it and the only way to happiness is to try to make others happy, that we won't attain happiness if we only focus on ourselves. Keith and I fell in love with this guy. He was very humble but had this magical aura about him . He is walking the talk, and serving great food to boot.
Peace out.

No comments:

Post a Comment