Monday, July 11, 2011

The Hairdresser, happily lost, Mrs. Wilkes, and Elizabeth

Readers beware, I have had too much champagne tonight so my spelling will be worse than usual, I do apologize in advance. Savannah is a very interesting place. Beautiful and gentile, but also smoldering and full Of eccentrics. The city is home to these live oak trees that are draped with Spanish moss, they look ancient and somehow mysterious. IAccording to Duke University Savannah has more ghosts than any other place in the country. I believe it.

We started on our Trolly tour of the city at 9am. A bitbafter 10 we hopped off and got in line to have lunch at Mrs. Wilkes Boarding house. Wevhad heard that this was the best place to have lunch(the only meal they serve). President Obama ate there over a year ago. The service is family style and you are seated at large tables with other guests, we met some great folks there. about 20 sides are served along with The Best Fried Chicken. There were like 5 potato dishes, Mac and cheese, greens, beans, okra ( slimy), yams, yellow squash, cucumber salad, black eyed peas, two kinds of rice, biscuits, corn muffins, gravy, beef stew, molasses, and of douse all are served sweet tea. For dessert chice of peach cobbler or banana cream pie. I did not try everything, I showed great restraint. But the chicken and biscuits were very good. It was more about the experience for me. It was so warm and welcoming. When you were done you carried your plates and glass to the kitchen. It was a unique dining experience and very memorable.

Because Keith and I have been together 24/7 and we wanted to see different things we split up after lunch and agreed to meet back at the hotel before dinner. I highly recommend this strategy. Even the happiest of couples need a break from each other, and I need time to myself. Its fun to then come together to share your solo adventure. So off I went. I got back on the trolly tour but I got off oat the wrong stop. Of course cause getting lost when it's 108 is just what I wanted to do. So I wandered around went about 15 blocks out of my way, but

I enjoyed it, no really I did. I took time to take in the gorgeous historic distrct. Before I
finally found my destination I purchased some water and sat on a bench in one of the many
Squares which are like mini parks. So I'm sitting there soaked from sweat due to the humidity but very content. The walk has done me good and given me a chance to ponder my experience o far. So I'm sitting there drinking my water and this guy comes over and sits next to me and says his name is Gerry and he is the hair dresser from the movie and book " midnight in the garden of good and evil" . This is the book that in sired me to see Savannah! I was a bit skeptical as this guy was at least a bit drunk. I asked him what he was doing these days and he told me gave private tours of secret gardens and did I want one. Gerry said he knew everyone in the city and all the dirt too. I declined the offer, but he insisted I take his number just in case. I later found out heis infamous trespassing in people's gardens who he does not know . Consider this part 1, I'll have to finish the saga tomorrow..the champagne has gotten the better of me.

No comments:

Post a Comment