Wednesday, July 13, 2011

In the Land of Andy & Yogi?

Left Ocean Isle North Carolina at 6am and headed for Kitty Hawk on the outer banks of North Carolina. We took secondary roads the whole way so we could go through the towns and get a feel for where we were at. North Carolina is much more affluent than Georgia I think and even more than South Carolina. Lots of plantations (that term creeps me out but thats what they're called), lots of golf courses. But there are still plenty of small towns that are clearly going through hard times. We stopped in one called New Bern for breakfast. It had a community college and some churches but it really made me wonder what there is for the young folks here, do they all move away? What do they do for work if they stay. I had my iPad out during breakfast and my waitress was fascinated by it, didn't know what it was. I know that could happen in Cali too but they probably only have one Apple Store in the whole state.

You know how when you bare on a long drive and you get lot in your thoughts? You might wonder about the history of the place or maybe it triggers some memories for you. Perhaps it ouches you in a spiritual way. Well, we had been driving listening to music and all the sudden Keith says " this is Mayberry Country " as in Andy Griffith. Ok, nothing weird about that and in fact he is right. But then a couple of minutes later he asks " is this where Yogi Bear is from?" I replied that he was a cartoon character and therefore not from anywhere and went back to our won private musings. We later stopped at a farm stand cause I had not had any fruit since we left home. I bought peaches and blueberries. Yesterday Keith picked up some boiled peanuts. We had seen signs for them everywhere and I said I wanted to try them. Being the thoughtful guy he is he bought some and we both agree they are nasty! They are wet, soggy, soft, and taste like over cooked beans. Really yucky.

So we finally got to Kitty Hawk about 1pm but could not get into our room till after 3. So we sat on the pier and went to the bar. It is really pretty the beach is fantastic, clear waters white sand. We are staying at the Hilton and Keith is already best friends with the bar tender and cabana guy. We will be hooked up tomorrow. Keith has cabana boy setting us up with umbrellas and chairs tomorrow and I wouldn't b e surprised if we got beach service from his bud the bartender.
Once in the room a nap was irresistible. We were hot and sweaty and had been up since super early. Keith's bud the bartender recommended a place called Ocean Boulevard for dinner. I fully intended to have fish, I really did. I have been trying to make healthy choices a portion of the time. But crap they had grilled duck breast with foie gras potato gnocchi served with Swiss chard and squash. How can anyone say no to that. It was so good. The duck was lean and served medium rare and not greasy at all. It had a sauce of peach gastrique . It was not heavy like duck can sometimes be. Keith had paella and crab bisque. Yes I had 2 glasses of wine it chilled and crisp. After we stopped by baileys ice cream parlor for cones. His chocolate mine coffee. It was called Edys but it is better known to Usonian the west coast as Drewyers. Keith is now snoring and I am ready to join him.
Peace out.

1 comment:

  1. I'm having a blast following your trail of great places to eat in the south and what to eat and drink when you get there...well, almost everywhere you ate...
    even with your lack of picture accompaniments it's easy to visualize the places you've been...you're a master blogger...my computer took a little dump a few days ago but it's OK now...I've read where you've been and what you've done and wondering if we ever take another long drive like you guys are doing you could plan our trip for us...hey, I've got an idea...how about we get together a bit after you get back and show us your hangouts in and near Riverside and go eat and drink...

    ReplyDelete