Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Going Solo and Rockin it With My Baby

Let me just say that if you have not been to Nashville you have got to get there. It is a wonderful city, America at it's best. It is a big city with a small town vibe. It has southern charm with a northern sensibility. It has tattooed and pierced hipsters and lean young men with silver belt buckles and cowboy hats. Fantastic young women with streaks of purple in their hair, denim short shorts, colorful tube socks and cowboy boots. You can fly your freak flag or be a good old country girl/ boy and it's all good. I like it here..a lot.
Today was our day to do our own thing. We agreed to each follow our own bliss for the day and then meet for dinner and a night of honky Tonkin. Keith got going first, no surprise. My boy was busy. He went to the Country Hall of Fame Museum, the original Grand Old Opry now called the Rymen Auditorium, where he played on the stage and got his picture taken.he went to Roberts Western World and had a fried bologna sandwich that he said was heavenly. He met a guy at a bar named Michael who wanted Keith to be his drinking buddy for the day. The dude said he lived off his royalties from music but we think he probably is a hopeless alcoholic and is on disability. In any case Keith declined his offer. Keith walked for miles through the city, he had a great time. I enjoyed hearing about his adventures. One one of the many wonderful qualities that Keith has is that he makes friends wherever he is. He talks to everyone and is genuinely interested in others people's lives, so it doesn't surprise me someone wants to hang with him all day.
I took my time this morning. After talking with a young women at the front desk about where to find interesting and unique shops Intook antaxi across town to a cute and artsy area. I spent the afternoon browsing through the shops and bought just one thing. An art piece made out of recycled Nashville licensed plates. It will look good in my kitchen. I had lunch in a cafe called Provance. I had a vegi sandwich that had avocado, sprouts, tomatoes, cucumbers, and mango chutney on whole grain bread, along with it I had some fruit salad. Very nice. Today was about 95 degrees and super humid. By mid afternoon I needed to get out of the heat. I was soaked, just dripping with sweat, not pretty. I grabbed a cab back to the hotel to rest up and cool off.
I had made reservations for a restaurant I had read about called the Watermark. I made a great choice, we had a fantastic dinner, it was food prepared perfectly. I started with fried green tomatoes that were served over a small amount of creamed corn and topped with some lobster. Get the picture? Soo good. Keith had ..wait for it.....heirloom tomato soup. It was good too. For our entrees I had filet mignon medium rare, white cheddar potato gratin, and creamed spinach. The spinach was the best I had ever had, my filet was tender and really flavorful and my potatoes were creamy and crunchy at the same time. Keith had a pork chopped that had a delicious grilled flavor and was served with mashed potatoes, spinach, and a peach and jalepeno chutney. I think his chop was the best pork chop I had ever tasted. I had proseco, 2 glasses for those of you counting and Keith had several glasses of beer. The service was impeccable, the chef came out to greet us and thank us for coming. It was a great dining experience. Oh yeah for dessert Keith had a King Alphonse Cordial and I shared my gelato which was a sccop of strawberry, a scoop of honey ricotta, a scoop of vanilla bourbon. They made the gelato there and it was very good. After dinner we went back to Broadway street and cruised the clubs, once again we heard some great music.
Our hotel suite is on the top floor about 15 stories up.You get vertigo when you look down into the lobby which all the rooms face. Keith spent about 30 minutes making paper airplanes and flying them off our balcony down to the lobby. None of them made it all the way down but he had so much fun doing it! I got a glimpse, not for the first time, of what he must of been like at the age of 10 or 11. It was wonderful. So tomorrow we are off to Memphis, our final stop before we drive back to Atlanta on Friday. We have gone over 2000 miles so far.
We love you Mom. Peace Out.

No comments:

Post a Comment