Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Wait where are we again?

Hello from Ocean Isle North Carolina. Or is it South Carolina? No it's North. I got it. Ok. We took off this morning from Savannah at about 6am and drove for a bit over 6 hours. We took our time, got off the main road so we could go through the towns and countryside. It is lush and beautiful and mostly rural. We drove by lots of soy bean crops and indigo too. We had breakfast at a Stucky's which is a chain kind of like Bobs Big Boy in the old days. On our
satalight radio we listened to classic rock and NPR and the coffee shop station. While it was sweltering outside we were cool as cucumbers, it was a fun drive and the time flew by. We had loosley planned to Stay in Myrtle Beach but when we saw it decided to keep on going. Myrtle Beach was crowded and schlocky. There were what seemed like thousands of children. Now don't get me wrong I do not hate kids. If they belong to someone I know or are related to me I actually get fond of them. But random kids are not my thing. For one thing they pee in swimming pools, and I planned on swimming. Also they tend to travel in packs and are loud. So we moved on. Here is a fun fact..when we passed through North Myrtle Beach the sign said "birth place of Vannah White" who knew. There was also a street called possum run. Weird right? I have tried to identify road kill when I see it but there is one splat I have seen several times that is unfamiliar I think it may be armadillo but really I am guessing. Hard to tell when it's all squished .
When we got here we liked that it was not crowded and we found a great place right on the beach. These beaches are really nice with beautiful dunes and tall grasses. The sand is white and there are tons of shells. I went for a swim and the water was warm. So relaxing. We are south of Cape Fear so pretty far down there. Keith went for a walk on the beach and because he was looking for shells didn't realize how far down the beach he was. Turns out he was about four miles down and then he had to walk back! When he got to the hotel he was wiped out. After a 2 hour nap he felt much better. We just got back from a relaxed dinner. We both had fish that was not fried! We stopped at an ice cream parlor where the locals hang. The place was packed ( lots of kids but what are you gonna do? They were actually cute and fun to watch). They made their own ice cream and it was good, chocolate for him, mint chocolate chip for me. We sat in rocking chairs in front and enjoyed our cones. It was a sweet way to end a sweet
day.
Peace out.

No comments:

Post a Comment